11 dead, 82 hospitalised after consuming poisoned prasadam at Karnataka temple

As many as 11 people died and 82 were hospitalised after consuming religious food offering — or prasad — at a temple in Karnataka’s Chamarajnagar district today, police said.

A district official claimed that some toxic substance may have got mixed with the religious offering being served at the Kichu Maranda temple in Sulivadi village, resulting in the tragedy. “We have collected samples and sent them to a laboratory for analysis,” he said.

District in-charge minister Puttaranga Shetty on Saturday said two people have been arrested in connection with the case. Shetty, who visited a hospital where those affected are undergoing treatment, said the police are investigating the case and action will be taken against the culprits.

“Whoever may be the culprit, action will be taken against them. Police investigating the case and already arrested two persons. There was some dispute between 2 groups. I think something has happened,” he told ANI.

Meanwhile, the state government has announced Rs 5 lakh ex-gratia to the next of the kin of the deceased while the expenses incurred on account of treatment will be taken care of by the state government.

Shetty said a total of 47 patients are being shifted to Care Hospital, 17 are in JSS Hospital while the others are in admitted in different Mysuru hospitals. “Around 91 patients have been shifted from Chamarajnagar to Mysuru,” he added.

Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy informed that Principal Secretary and Commissioner has instructed district health officials of Mandya and Mysuru to provide all possible help to health administration in Chamrajnagar.

(Agencies)

Comments

comments