With 2017 Assembly Polls around the corner, every person in Uttar Pradesh need to ask themselves these very important questions before they go out to cast their vote.
Is my neighborhood safe to send my son or daughter to schools and colleges? Will every Police Man and Police Women in the state of Uttar Pradesh ensure the safety of my family? Will I be able to travel safely in my own state without being harassed by thugs?
Sadly the Law and Order situation of the state presents a very grim picture under the rule of Akhilesh Yadav’s Chief Minister-ship, especially for women folk. The following data compiled from National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) and Uttar Pradesh State Crime Records Bureau (UP SCRB) only confirms our worst fears:-
- In 2015, A whopping 35,527 cases have been reported against women. This accounts for 10.9% of crime in the country and highest for any state.
- In 2015, around 40,613 cases have been reported in Uttar Pradesh, the highest number of cases of violent crimes accounting for 12.1% of total violent crimes in the country.
- Uttar Pradesh stands 3rd highest in terms of the number of cases reported against children with 11,420 cases reported out of a total of 94,172 cases in India.
- In 2015 alone, 9,075 rape cases have been reported in the state of Uttar Pradesh. This on comparison with 2014 (3,467 rape cases) shows a 161% increase in rape crimes. (UP SCRB)
- From 2011 to 2015, crimes against women have risen by 61%.
“From March 15, 2016 to August 18 this month, 1,012 cases of rapes, 4,520 cases of women harassment, 1,386 of loot and 86 cases of dacoity have been reported in the state,” the government said in a written reply to a question by BJP member Satish Mahana in the state Assembly.
As per the figures give above, In 2015 around 25 rapes per day have been occurring in the state of Uttar Pradesh.