A crucial meeting of the ruling AIADMK General Council began here today amid expectations that it could take a call on the fate of party General Secretary VK Sasikala.
Chief Minister K Palaniswami and his Deputy O Pannerselvam were among those who were present at today’s meeting of the decision-making body, the first since the death of Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa’s last year. It is also the first after the unification of the two camps led by the Chief Minister and Panneerselvam.
Earlier, a cloud of uncertainty had hung over today’s meeting as the Dhinakaran faction had moved the Madras High Court seeking a stay on it. The court had upheld an order of a single judge dismissing a plea to stay the AIADMK general council and executive committee meeting convened by Chief Minister K Palaniswami-led faction.
The meeting of the AIADMK Executive committee, prior to the General Council, was underway at a marriage hall near here. The General Council and Executive are expected to discuss issues including the future of Sasikala in the party.
— ANI (@ANI) September 12, 2017
BJP’s Rajya Sabha MP Subramanian Swamy said that calling a meeting of the general council, the highest executive body in AIADMK, is illegal without the presence of jailed leader VK Sasikala.
Post the unification of the two camps, Dhinakaran and Palaniswami have been at loggerheads, with 19 MLAs owing allegiance to the former, meeting Governor Ch Vidyasagar Rao and seeking removal of Palaniswami, on August 22. According to various reports, out of the 2400-odd members of the general council, 2148 are attending the meeting. This amounts to around 90 percent of the total strength of the council.
The following resolutions were passed at the AIADMK General Council:
- The Unified factions will seek to retrieve the two-leave election symbol. now under dispute before the Election Commission.
- The temporary general secretary post has been scrapped. VK Sasikala sacked as general secretary.
- Jayalalithaa’s appointees to continue in post
- Jayalalithaa will be eternal general secretary of AIADMK
- All announced and appointment made by TTV Dinakaran not binding on the party.
- As per the tenth resolution of the general council meeting, Panneerselvam has been made the head of the coordination committee while Palaniswamy is the co-coordinator of the party.
- General Secretary post has been scrapped and All powers of General Secretary is given to the chief co-ordinator and assistant chief co-ordinator