Arunachal Pradesh: Rs 1.80 crore cash seized from the house of BJP candidate’s son

Authorities have seized Rs 1.80 crore in cash from the son of a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate in Arunachal Pradesh and a former legislator at a government guest house in East Siang district’s Pasighat town, officials said on Wednesday (April 3).

The money was seized from two vehicles parked at the guest house, Additional Chief Electoral Officer Kanki Darang said, adding that it was the largest seizure of cash in the state.

While Rs 1 crore, which was seized from a government vehicle, was claimed by Christopher Perme, son of Mebo BJP candidate Dangi Perme, Rs 80 lakh was found inside the private vehicle of Ralomg Borang, a former MLA, Darang said.

The government vehicle was registered in the name of Deputy Secretary of Transport department, he said, denying Congress’s claim that the vehicles were part of Chief Minister Pema Khandu’s motorcade.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed an election rally in Pasighat during the day.

Both Christopher and Ralomg were present at the guest house when the cash was seized by flying squads of the Income Tax department on Tuesday (April 2) night.

Christopher claimed that he got a part of the seized cash after selling traditional beads and ornaments and the rest he had borrowed from relatives on Tuesday.

In a letter, he said that he required the money for building houses at Ngopok and Bapkota and for investing in a contract.

Ralomg claimed that he had borrowed the money from relatives to buy a piece of land in Mariyang. Both of them demanded that the money be returned to them.

Asked what action has been taken against the two, Darang said the I-T Department is looking into case.

The Congress earlier in the day alleged that a “cash for votes” scam was busted in Arunachal Pradesh with the recovery of Rs 1.80 crore from Khandu’s convoy and asked the Election Commission to register a case against Modi as well as the chief minister and his deputy.

Accusing the BJP of using “money power” to woo voters in the northeast, Congress chief spokesperson Randeep Surjewala said Khandu and his deputy Chowna Mein should be immediately sacked.

Comments

comments