Two rocket barrages were fired toward southern Israeli communities Today from Gaza Strip. The first barrage consisted of 28 mortars, with one shell falling in the yard of a kindergarten. Hours later, several projectiles were launched from Gaza and parts of a rocket fell near a school in Sderot.
Most of the projectiles were intercepted by the Iron Dome missile defense system and no injuries were reported. Prior to Israel’s retaliation, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed that the military would respond “with great force” and said Hamas is responsible for preventing such an attack.
Neither Hamas or Islamic Jihad has made a claim of responsibility for the initial fire, although Islamic Jihad had vowed to take revenge after three of its members were killed by Israeli tank shelling last week.
The attack comes after Islamic Jihad vowed to take revenge after its members were killed. An Islamic Jihad leader in Gaza said on Tuesday “as long as there is occupation, resistance is a legitimate right for the Palestinian people”.
(Images used for representation purpose only)