High alert in Kashmir over ‘militant plot’ to target security installations

The authorities have declared a high alert in Srinagar after intelligence reports suggested that militants have moved to the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir and are planning a major attack on security forces.

Inspector General of Police, Kashmir, Muneer Khan in an official communication to security agencies has stated that militants’ movement was observed in Srinagar.

He warned the security agencies that militants are planning to stage attacks on security forces’ camps or their deployments in Srinagar and asked them to take preventive measures to track militants and prevent further attacks.

They said most of the militants are believed to be affiliated to Jaish-e-Mohammad outfit headed by Maulana Masood Azhar. The security grid is apprehending a spike in militant attacks in the state, particularly in the Valley, the officials said.

The security forces have been asked to remain on a high alert and maintain vigil around sensitive security installations across the state, they said. The officials said it is rare for such a large number of militants to infiltrate in one go and indicated the desperation of their handlers across the LoC to keep the Kashmir pot boiling.

The Army chief said, “They have fired from their civilian areas and targeted our civilian population.”

White Knight Corps joined the people of Poonch to celebrate the historic ‘Poonch Link Up Day’ with gaiety and fervour here.

The day marks the link-up carried out by Brig Pritam Singh’s forces with Brig Yadunath’s forces from Rajouri at the Danna Ka Pir on November 21, 1948.

Lt Gen Singh was joined by veterans, senior Army officials, civil administrators, local politicians and the people of Poonch along with school children in the wreath laying ceremony at the war memorial.

Meanwhile, terrorists targeted the CRPF and the house of a Tral legislator – injuring two paramilitary jawans and two civilians – in three separate incidents across south Kashmir on Friday.

There have been several attacks on police and Army personnel after the Centre announced a unilateral Ramzan ceasefire earlier this month. An army soldier was killed and three others were injured in two separate attacks in south Kashmir’s Pulwama and Shopian districts. In spite of this, security forces refrained from launching any cordon-and-search or search-and-destroy operations against militants during this period.

Nevertheless, seven terrorists were killed in two operations conducted in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district since the ceasefire call. Army officers said all of them were foreigners who attacked an army patrol after infiltrating into the Valley.