A Hindu temple situated in Chandni Chowk area of Delhi was vandalised by a mob of around 300-400 people, belonging to the Muslim community. Soon after the attack, videos went viral on social media showing mob mercilessly vandalising the temple amid cries of “Nara-e-Takbeer Allah-hu-Akbar.”
According to rebel AAP MLA Kapil Mishra, the incident was triggered by a rumour that a Muslim boy has been lynched. Apart from the temple, the mob also surrounded the nearby Hauz Qazi police. Local Hindus have alleged that even their houses were targeted and stones were pelted at them.
दिल्ली के हौजकाजी में कल रात एक मंदिर पर पत्थर बरसायें गए और तोड़ फोड़ की गई
पहले पूरे इलाके में अफवाह फैलाई गई कि एक मुस्लिम लड़के की मोब लिंचिंग हुई हैं, जबरदस्ती जय श्री राम बुलवाया हैं
उसके बाद मंदिर में, थाने में जो हुआ वो आपके सामने हैं pic.twitter.com/Tak2yeBeOi
— Kapil Mishra (@KapilMishra_IND) July 1, 2019
Following the attack, a team of Delhi police comprising of senior officials arrived at the spot to control the situation situation. The arrival of police ensured that no that no further clashes between communities break out.
According to police, the entire dispute was triggered by an altercation caused by an argument over parking. When the argument became intense, some started pelting stones.
As per witnesses, the mob entered the temple at around 12am. The police has confirmed that the temple in Lal Kuan of Chandni Chowk was attacked. According to locals, the population of Hindus in the area is just around 5%, and the rest 95% are Muslims.