Nawaz Sharif admits to Pakistan hand in Mumbai terror attack, says ‘militant organisations are active’

Ousted Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif appeared to admit that Pakistani terrorists carried out the 2008 Mumbai attacks, known as 26/11, and suggest that such terror strikes could have been prevented. In an interview to the Dawn newspaper published on Saturday, Mr Sharif also lamented that Pakistan had isolated itself. He indicated that his country should look into why its narrative that it had been fighting terrorism had not been accepted by the international community “despite sacrifices”..

Sharif, who has been disqualified to hold public office for life by the Supreme Court in the Panama Papers case, said Pakistan has isolated itself.

India has long accused Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba of carrying out the attacks in Mumbai on 26 November, 2008, that left 166 people dead and many injured after 10 terrorists with backpacks, automatic weapons and grenades launched a three-day siege on India’s financial capital targeting multiple locations.

Mr Sharif did not name Mumbai attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed and Maulana Masood Azhar’s Jamaat-ud-Dawah and Jaish-e-Mohammad that operate in the country with impunity in the interview. Or the Lashkar-e-Taiba, which according to India, sailed into Mumbai from Karachi, to carry out the attacks in an operation that was coordinated by Pakistani intelligence agency, ISI

Islamabad, on the other hand, has blamed setbacks during the trial on India, insisting that New Delhi had not given “solid evidence” against Hafiz Saeed and others. When Saeed was ordered to be released after 10 months of house arrest in November last, the Pakistan government had justified the move, saying the law was equal for all.

Mr Sharif, 68, was disqualified by the Supreme Court for not being “honest and righteous” as he failed to declare in 2013 a salary he got from the company of his son in the UAE. In February, the top court also disqualified him as the head of the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz.

Nine of the attackers were killed by police while lone survivor Ajmal Kasab was caught and hanged after being sentenced to death. The Mumbai attacks-related trials are stalled in a Rawalpindi anti-terrorism court.

Sharif further said, “It’s absolutely unacceptable (to allow non-state actors to cross the border and commit terrorism there). President (Vladimir) Putin has said it. President Xi (Jinping) has said it.” US President Donald Trump had accused Pakistan of giving nothing to the US but “lies and deceit” and providing “safe haven” to terrorists.

Comments

comments