New Delhi, Nov 4 (PTI) Terming as “shocking” the I&B ministry order on taking off air its hindi news channel for a day over the Pathankot terror attack coverage, NDTV has alleged that it has been “singled out” and said it is examining all options in the matter.
“The order of the MIB has been received. It is shocking that NDTV has been singled out in this manner. Every channel and newspaper had similar coverage. In fact NDTV’s coverage was particularly balanced,” a statement posted by the broadcaster on its website said.
The statement further added that “after the dark days of the emergency when the press was fettered, it is extraordinary that NDTV is being proceeded against in this manner.”
NDTV, it said, is examining all options in this matter.
An interministerial panel had concluded that ‘NDTV India’ had revealed crucial and “strategically sensitive” information when the terror attack on IAF base in January was being carried out, official sources had said.
The Information and Broadcasting ministry while invoking the powers under the Cable TV Networks (Regulation) Act said it “orders to prohibit the transmission or re-transmission of NDTV India channel for one day on any platform throughout India with effect from 00:01 hrs on 9th November, 2016 till 00:01 hrs of 10th November, 2016”.
This is the first such order against a TV channel over its coverage of a terror attack, the norms regarding which were notified last year.