Vatican priest who looked after sexual abuse cases, steps down after being accused of abusing a nun

Hermann Geissler, a Vatican official who handled the cases about sexual harassment, stepped down from the position on Monday. The development came two months after an woman accused Geissler himself of sexual misconduct.


Geissler however maintained that he is innocent and termed his decision to step back down as a move to protect the church. “Fr. Geissler decided to take this step to limit the damage already done to the Congregation and to his Community,” said an official.

Last year a former nun named Doris Wanger, had accused an unnamed priest of making sexual advances on her while in confessional. Later she identified the priest to be Hermann Geissler.

Wagner shared her story at a November event in Rome called Overcoming Silence — Women’s Voices in the Abuse Crisis. There, she talked about how she had moved from her native Germany at age 19 to join the religious community known as the Work.

In 2009, a priest asked to be assigned as Wagner’s confessor and used it to groom her for abuse, Wagner said.


“He would keep me there kneeling in front of him for hours, and he would tell me how much he liked me and that he knew that I liked him and even though we couldn’t marry, there would be other ways,” Wagner said at the event. “At some point, he would try to hold me and kiss me, and I simply panicked and ran out of the room.”

Wagner said she reported the behavior to her female superior and asked whether she could have another confessor assigned to her.
“When I told her, actually, I was extremely relieved that she didn’t blame me,” Wagner said. “Instead, she said something like, ‘You know, I knew Father has a certain weakness for women, so we kind of have to put up with this.’ ”

While speaking at the Rome event, Wagner did not identify the priest, describing him at the time as only “another leading member of the community, a priest, who to this day is working as capo ufficio [head of the office] at the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.”

However, several news outlets soon determined she could be referring only to Geissler, and Wagner confirmed it was him in later interviews.

Earlier this month, Wagner told the National Catholic Reporter that nothing much had happened after she reported Geissler in 2014 to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

“I got a response that stated that Fr. Geissler had admitted, and had asked pardon and was admonished,” Wagner told the religious newspaper. “And that was all.”

Wagner added it was “ridiculous” and “symbolic of the church’s attitude towards perpetrators” that Geissler remained in the high-ranking position within the church.

Comments

comments