MUMBAI: A local magisterial court issued an arrest warrant against controversial Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt on Saturday for being absent to answer a complaint of criminal intimidation filed by film producer Shakeel Noorani.
“We had sought arrest warrant against Dutt for non-appearance. The court has allowed our application,” said advocate Neeraj Gupta, Noorani’s lawyer.
However, now the next hearing will held on August 29.
Noorani has filed a private complaint with the court demanding registration of a case against Dutt for criminal intimidation.
Dutt had abandoned a film, ‘Jan ki Bazzi,’ midway in 2002, which he was producing, said Noorani in his complaint, adding the actor did not even return the money already paid to him.
Noorani approached Indian Motion Pictures Producers Association, which directed Dutt to pay the money back. Noorani later moved the Bombay High Court, seeking execution of the IMPPA’s order.
In the meantime, he started receiving threatening calls from some underworld figures who asked him to withdraw the case, the producer alleged.
Earlier, too, a warrant had been issued against Dutt for non-appearance in this case, but he was granted bail.
Dutt, who was convicted under the Arms Act in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, was released from the jail last year.